A chart of the annual number of daily records (set or tied) illustrates the near-complete absence of record lows in Utqiaġvik in the past 15-20 years, while record high temperatures have been very frequent:
The slight uptick in unusual cold this summer reflects the unusually abundant sea ice in the nearby Arctic waters - a significant change from the pattern of recent years. Rick Thoman has a post up on this, and I'll follow with a few comments in a subsequent post.
Since I now have a handy computer script to create the daily record chart, below are equivalent charts for Fairbanks, Anchorage, and Juneau. Note that I'm just using data from the current official climate sites, rather than attempting to splice together a longer period of record from different sites. Nobody in Fairbanks will be surprised to observe that there haven't been any daily record high temperatures so far this year, whereas there were 6 record lows in March and 3 record low max temps in February.
Anchorage has set or tied record low daily max temperatures in every month this year except April and June.




No comments:
Post a Comment